The High Synagogue was built as a part of the Jewish City Hall in the Jewish Quarter in Prague in 1577. Thatīs why it is also called the City Hall Synagogue. It has still the original vault with some Gothic features inside and also a stucco decoration. It is used as a house of worship of the Jewish community in Prague.
Renaissance architecture of the synagogue
The richest Pragueīs citizen of the 16 th century, Mordechai Maisel, had the High Synagogue built in the Renaissance style. It was projected by Pankratius Roder. It was not just a religious place, but also a place of sittings of the rabbinic court. There is the original ribbed vault inside the synagogue with an eight-pointed star in the middle.
Jewish divine services
The High Synagogue was given the present simple interior in the 19 th century. Divine services took place there till 1941, then it became a storehouse. It was used as an exhibition space in 1980s and finally it became a place of prayers once again in 1997.
The High Synagogue is accessible from the Maiselova street 18, through the building of the Jewish City Hall, but only to announced visitors. It is intended for divine services (for both Prague citizens and foreigners), not generally for tourists. Thatīs why it is also excluded from the sightseeing tour of the former Jewish Quarter.