The origin of the All Saints Chapel in the Old Royal Palace, situated in the 3 rd Courtyard of the Prague Castle, goes back to the 12 th century. It was rebuilt several times in various styles. There are relics of St. Procopius buried in the chapel and several paintings and decorations representing the St. Procopius legend.
History of the All Saints Chapel
The original Romanesque chapel from 12 th century was replaced by a Gothic one built by important architect Petr Parler around 1370. There are still some remains of the Gothic chapel, but it was largely damaged in the big fire at the Prague Castle in 1541. Only the enclosure walls could resist the fire.
The All Saints Chapel was rebuilt in 1580. Queen Elizabeth, sister of Emperor Rudolph II. and widow of the French king Charles IX. decided to restore it. It was extended to the Vladislav Hall and it gained a Renaissance vault. Later in the 16 th century, a portal between the chapel and the Vladislav Hall was built.
When the neighbouring Rosenberg Palace became a Residence for Noblewomen in the 1750s, the All Saints Chapel became their collegiate church.
Paintings of the legend of St. Procopius
There is a Baroque altar inside, with a painting of All Saints by V. V. Reiner from 1732. Series of 12 paintings narrating the legend of St. Procopius were made by Kristian Dittmann in 1669. The last picture represents the transfer of St. Procopius relics from Sazava Monastery to the Prague All Saints Chapel in 1588. The man pictured with a candle in his hand is the Emperor Rudolph II.
According to the legend, the hermit St. Procopius, who lived in the 11 th century, was a man with special gift to perform miracles and to defeat devils. He founded the Sazava Monastery, which became a center of Slavonic culture at the time.
St. Procopius tomb
A Baroque tomb decorated with reliefs was made for St. Procopius relics. It is surrounded by allegorical statues representing virtues and it is situated in the niche in the northern part of the chapelīs aisle.
You can look into the All Saints Chapel from the Vladislav Hall. The chapel is only accessible during divine services (on Saturdays, 4 pm) or when concerts are held there occasionally.